Rabbit Holes (Longform Articles) Part 2
Great non-fiction, longform articles to send you down a rabbit hole and possibly learn something new!
1. "What Actually Happens When a Country Bans Abortion" by Amy Mackinnon for Foreign Policy
Romania under the rule of Nicolae Ceausescu.
2. "The Labor of Bringing a Baby Into Appalachia" by Alecia Swasy for Slate
The doctor who doesn't offer birth control or abortions but is the only doctor is sad.
3. "The Abortion I Didn’t Have" by Merritt Tierce for The New York Times
4. "Redeeming Love: A Book Review Series" by Samantha Field
First part of the 12 part series is here.
5. "Orphan Fever: The Evangelical Movement’s Adoption Obsession" by Kathryn Joyce for Mother Jones
Gross mismanagement of private adoptions and abusive evangelical teachings had led to a lot of child abuse of Liberian adoptees in the USA. Joyce has also written the book The Child Catchers on this heartbreaking subject.
New Republic article on cultural differences in adoption in the Marshall Islands and USA
Reuters article on Americans use the Internet to abandon children adopted from overseas
6. "The Evangelical Church’s Sex Shaming Meets a Fiery Reckoning" by Becca Andrews for Mother Jones
There are a number of books on how an obsession with sexuality is damaging to children, including The Purity Myth by Jessica Valenti and Pure by Linda Kay Klein. The subheading of the article, "When you control what somebody thinks about when they’re in their most intimate moments, you control the most vulnerable part of them" really speaks to the controlling abuse perpetuated by purity culture.
7. "Republican Sexual Predators, Abusers, and Enablers" by CajsaLiliehook for Daily Kos
An updated list of republicans with allegations and criminal records.
8. "How Brutal Cult Leader Tony Alamo Amassed A Fortune With Bedazzled Denim Jackets" by Leah Carrol for Refinery 29